Tuesday, September 18, 2012

work update

Ch-ch-changes.

Ok so about a month and a half ago, I met with my boss and he presented me with some news regarding my job. He wanted me to still be with the college group, but not leading it. Just helping out part-time (20 hours a week) alongside a new full-time college pastor. And then the other 20 hours a week would be toward planning and helping to run this alternative service we have on Sunday mornings.

I'm not a huge fan of change and I was sad to think about giving up being the college leader after doing it for 7 years. But the more I thought, prayed, and talked to people about it, I started to think this could be a good change. So I went in and told my boss I'd do it. I started training for the new Sunday morning job and sent out a mass email to all the college students telling them about the change. They were a little bummed because Intern Scott was leaving (he got a job at a church in Florida) and now I wasn't going to be the leader. "Don't worry, guys," I said. "I'm not going anywhere. I'll still be at college group, go on all the trips, and spending time with you."

And then.

A couple weeks ago my boss called me back into his office. Oh no, now what?

He looked and felt horrible. "Sarah, I'm so sorry. I screwed up. None of us took a step back and looked at the big picture. In order for the new college pastor to be successful, we can't have the old college pastor there. So...I'm afraid I'm going to have to pull you out of college ministry completely."

Completely.

A huge lump rose in my throat.

I couldn't believe it. I wasn't going to be with my college students at all this year.

He said they still wanted me to plan and lead the Sunday morning alternative service. But college was not an option. I was shocked and sad and upset at the same time.

"A big reason I took the new job (Sunday mornings) was because I was still going to be with the students and involved in the college group Wednesday nights," I said.

Again, the timing was horrible. I had just sent that mass email and talked to all my students and leaders and told them I was still going to be there. And now I had to go and tell them I wouldn't be there at all. With Scott and I both gone, would they stop going? Would they be bummed? Would students fall away from college group and the church?

It's been a couple weeks since this all happened and life has been crazy (Hence, the not-blogging-much). I have been trying to transition myself both physically, mentally, and emotionally from an old job and old office to a new job and new office (I moved buildings). And meanwhile, the college group is going on without me and I miss it. I am grieving. And when the students come up and complain that everything is different, I have to put on my brave face and tell them, "Change can be good!" etc etc. Which it IS. I just need more time to get used to all this.

I know God is in control. I know this means little in the grand scheme of things. I know I shouldn't worry if college students stop going. I need to bathe all of this in prayer.

Just wanted to give you guys the heads up.

Ch-ch-changes.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Oh Sarah, how HARD! Are you doing okay? I will most definitely be praying for you and the students during this transition. Love you!

Smarshie said...

Hi Em, I'm doing okay. I am in the midst of all the change and transition. It will just take time to get used to everything. The last couple months have been a rollercoaster but I think soon things will calm down. Thank you for your prayers! I really appreciate it.